Charles J. Barnett, FACHE, has been named President of Healthcare Operations and Chief Operating Officer. He previously served as Texas/Missouri Ministry Market Leader with Ascension Health and has taken a leave of absence from his duties as president and CEO of Seton Healthcare Family.
In addition to overseeing operations at all Health Ministries and Ascension Health’s Ministry Market Leaders, Barnett will have responsibility for Ascension Health’s enterprise resource planning, IT, facilities, and supply chain functions.
The leadership announcement follows the appointment of Robert J. Henkel, FACHE, as President and Chief Executive Officer of Ascension Health.
“A priority has been to identify the new Ascension Health Leadership,” said Henkel. “The experience of these individuals and their commitment to the future of Ascension Health will continue to strengthen our national health ministry and support our Mission of providing care to all with special attention to those who are poor and vulnerable.”
Barnett is a nationally-known healthcare leader with extensive executive experience. Prior to joining Seton Healthcare Family in 1993, he served as Vice President/Chief Operating Officer at Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, Va. He previously held executive positions at hospital systems in Illinois and Michigan.
Barnett is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives. He holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Cincinnati, in Ohio, and a Master of Hospital Administration from Xavier University.
Other Ascension changes include:
- Eric S. Engler becomes Senior Vice President, Strategic Planning & Development. Engler has responsibility for the development, implementation and management of Ascension Health’s overall System strategy, as well as the exploration and development of new opportunities across the continuum of care.
- Ziad Haydar, MD, MBA, becomes Senior Vice President for Clinical Excellence and Ascension Health’s Chief Medical Officer. Haydar will lead the organization’s Clinical Excellence initiatives, including collaboration with physician, nursing and executive leaders across Ascension Health, to build on the organization’s nationally recognized patient safety initiatives.
- Christine Kocot McCoy, JD, becomes Senior Vice President, Legal Services and Ascension Health’s General Counsel. In addition to providing legal counsel to Ascension Health, the Board of Trustees and executive management, McCoy will continue her current responsibilities leading the organization’s Risk Management function.
- Juli Shields, JD, is Ascension Health’s Chief Compliance Officer. In addition to this new role, Shields will continue as Vice President, Legal Services & Associate General Counsel. Shields is responsible for overseeing Ascension Health’s compliance
- Challis Lowe continues as Senior Vice President, Organizational Development and Human Resources. Lowe is responsible for the continued development of human resource and organizational development capabilities across the Ascension Health including work that supports the strategic direction
- Stephen D. LeResche continues as Vice President Communications, leading development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies for Ascension Health. He also oversees corporate meetings and travel.
- Sister Maureen McGuire, DC, continues as Senior Vice President, Mission Integration. She also serves as Executive Vice President, Mission Integration for Ascension Health Alliance, Ascension Health’s parent organization. She provides leadership in creating strategy and initiatives in the areas of Mission and Values integration, workplace spirituality, ethics, leadership formation and spiritual care.